Monday, May 21, 2012

Happy Mother's Day!

Sunday was the first time anyone has ever wished ME a Happy Mother's Day. My brother sat next to me (as if in disbelief that I'm married and on my own now) and tried to tell everyone that they didn't need to do that because "Shaina doesn't count...yet." Well As far as my sweet husband was concerned I did. I woke up to breakfast in bed (all of my favorite breakfast foods), with the most thoughtful and creative card on my "tray". It was the kind of card that reminds me why i fell in love with him in the first place! I say "tray" because since we aren't prepared to have ever done breakfast in bed, we are not equipped with the fancy get up that you would USUALLY provide with breakfast in bed. My tray looked a LOT like a cookie sheet, but whatever. I didn't care. He wanted to do something special and I appreciated it. We spent Mother's Day first in sacrament meeting with MY mother (and my sister and her kids) and then shot over to join HIS mother in her ward's sacrament meeting. After church, we went home and he began to prepare our dish for the potluck at my Mom's. The rules were that the father had to make the food to bring, and he had to make something that the mother loved. If you know my husband, you know that when it comes to meal times, 1 of 3 things happens. Either I cook, we eat out, or he starves. As we got closer and closer to Mother's Day, he kept asking "what's your favorite thing to eat?" I would laugh each time because I told him that in order to save face and have something to contribute to the dinner, just make whatever you know how to. THAT would become my favorite thing. He procrastinated and by Saturday night, he still had NO idea what to make. Sunday rolled around and while he was busy preparing beautiful things for me for Mother's Day, he seemed to forget that we had no groceries for him to use to prepare a dish to share with 50 people. He INSISTED on not going to the store and as he opened the pantry, I realized what he COULD make that actually WAS one of my favorites. CANNED CORNED BEEF AND ONIONS. :) As he cooked, I relaxed and before I knew it, it was time to head over to Mom's. We had an AMAZING time with my siblings and cousins. I'd say that for my first Mother's Day as a mother, it was DEFINITELY one to remember. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment